Steve Bernstein is a partner in the firm's Tampa office and co-chair of the firm's Labor Relations Practice Group. Steve maintains a traditional labor practice in which he represents employers throughout the United States in both state and federal courts, as well as before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and other state and federal agencies.
In the process, Steve has played a primary role in advising clients on union-related matters. Steve has also acquired a sophisticated level of experience with regard to advising clients on compliance with the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), the Family and Medical Leave (FMLA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
A significant portion of his practice is devoted to the implementation of preventive employee relations programs that include supervisory training as well as the development and administration of effective human resources policies and practices.
Previously, Steve worked for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and with the Minority Staff of the U.S. Senate Labor Committee.
• 11th Circuit Delivers Victory to Pizza Employer in NLRB Matter
• Employer Escapes NLRB Section 10(j) Injunction
Honors & Leadership
HONORS & AWARDS
• Named, Lawyer of the Year for Labor and Employment Litigation, Tampa, 2018
• Named Outstanding Labor and Employment Law School Student by the Labor and Employment Law Section of the Florida Bar
• Named, Lawyer of the Year, Labor Law-Management, Tampa, 2017 and 2019
• Listed by the Labor Relations Institute (LRI) as one of the "Top 100 Labor Attorneys" in the U.S. since 2006
• "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
• Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business since 2011
• Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2012
• Florida Super Lawyers since 2012
• Named one of the "People to Know" in Tampa/Hillsborough County by Florida Trend in 2014
• Past Chair – Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce
• Member, Board of Directors for Quest, Inc.
• Past President, Academy of Florida Management Attorneys
• Co-Chair to the Labor & Employment Section of the Hillsborough Bar Association
• Member, ABA Committee on Federal Labor Standards Legislation, Subcommittee on USERRA
• Chief Editor, Florida Employment Law Manual
SEMINARS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
• The Trump Effect: Ten Workplace Law Developments To Be Watching For
• Bay Area Labor and Employment Law Update
One Day, Many Solutions Tampa
• The Changing Landscape of Joint Employer Status: Preparing for the Future in Light of the Labor Board's BFI Decision
• The NLRB's New Rules on Expedited Union Elections – Is Your Organization Ready?
• Expedited Union Elections, Enhanced E-Mail Protections and Other New NLRB Developments – Is Your Organization Ready?
• Employment Law Updates and Forecasts
• Labor Law Developments
• When Our Soldiers Come Marching Home – Reintegrating Returning Veterans Into the Workforce - Webinar
• Update on the Obama Board's Decisions and What to Expect
• Fisher Phillips Hosts the 2013 Tampa Best Places to Work Awards
• Employee Leaves
• Collective Bargaining
• Layoffs and Plant Closings
• NLRB Practice
• Strike Defense and Contingency Planning
• Union Campaigns and Elections
• Compliance Audits and Counseling
• Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
• Automotive Manufacturing
• Automotive Dealership
• Labor Relations
• University of Florida College of Law
J.D. 1990, with honors
• Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations
• Georgia Court of Appeals
• Georgia Supreme Court
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
• U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia